From May 6-20, families with four-year-old children living in Jefferson County may pick up a free book at any Jefferson County Public Library.
Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) is partnering with Lt. Gov. Joe Garcia’s One Book 4 Colorado program to provide a new book to every four-year-old child in Jefferson County. Books will be available for pick up at all JCPL locations from May 6-20 during normal business hours. To find the library closest to you, please visit jeffcolibrary.org/locations.
“This program is a perfect fit with our commitment to supporting early literacy in Jefferson County,” said Pam Nissler, executive director, JCPL. “We believe it is critical for children from birth to five to have frequent and routine access to books, and that they be read to consistently. By providing young children with access to quality books, we hope to instill a love of reading in every child and help families serve as their children’s first and most important teachers.”
“We hope this program will spark an interest in other library programs that promote literacy, including storytimes, Summer Reading Club and more,” Nissler added. “These programs are designed to help our younger patrons learn important pre-reading skills, establish a foundation for success in school and become life-long learners.”
To celebrate One Book 4 Colorado and encourage families to visit the Library to pick up their free book, JCPL is hosting a robust schedule of One Book 4 Colorado events:
- Monday, May 6, at the Lakewood Library: Jefferson County Commissioner Don Rosier will present special storytime programs to toddlers (at 11 a.m.) and pre-school children (at 11:30 a.m.).
- Tuesday, May 7, at the Belmar Library: At a special reception at 2 p.m., Lt Gov. Joe Garcia will announce the winners of a statewide video contest sponsored by the Colorado State Library. Teens throughout Colorado submitted videos to help promote Summer Reading Club, a literacy initiative offered by public libraries throughout Colorado and the U.S. (Hint: the winners are from Jefferson County!)
- Wednesday, May 8, at the Evergreen Library: Jefferson County Commissioner Don Rosier will present special Children’s storytime (ages 2-6) at 4 p.m.
- Saturday, May 11, at the Columbine Library: The library will host a special author visit and storytime from the One Book 4 Colorado author at 10:30 a.m. (We can’t announce the author until after May 6, but this promises to be an exciting event!) Registration is required for this event and will be accepted beginning May 6 online at jeffcolibrary.org/events, by phone at 303-235-5275 or in person at the Columbine Library.
- Wednesday, May 15, at the Wheat Ridge Library: The Wheat Ridge Library is hosting a special storytime and craft for four-year-olds and their families at 4 p.m.
One Book 4 Colorado is the result of collaboration between Lt. Gov. Joe Garcia’s office, Serve Colorado, Reach Out and Read Colorado, Colorado State Library, Denver Preschool Program, Jefferson County Public Library, other public libraries, the private sector, and the foundation community. Books were provided through private donations to One Book 4 Colorado.
Books will be available in both English and Spanish, accessible to children with special needs, and provided on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, follow the project’s website at onebook4colorado.org.
About Jefferson County Public Library
Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) is the third largest public library in the state of Colorado. Our mission is to meet the changing needs of our communities by providing information and environments that promote personal growth and community transformation. A JCPL library card is the smartest card in your wallet, giving you access to an online library that operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week, a network of 10 libraries, a Bookmobile, a Traveling Children’s Library and offsite computer and Internet classes provided throughout the County, as well as books, periodicals, CDs and DVDs, audio and eBooks, and computer and Internet resources. For more information contact your local library or visit jeffcolibrary.org.
About the Office of Lt. Gov. Joe Garcia
Lt. Gov. Joe Garcia’s early literacy focus stems from his efforts to ensure every Colorado child is reading on grade level by the end of third grade. During his tenure in office, his goal is to draw public attention to the critical importance of early learning and to launch numerous efforts that will put Colorado’s children on a path to reading success. One Book 4 Colorado is part of Colorado Reads: The Early Literacy Initiative, the state’s plan to help ensure every child in Colorado learns to read. The plan and more information about the Lt. Governor’s initiatives can be found at www.colorado.gov/ltgovernor.