Sept. 1 - All libraries will be closed for Labor Day.
Harry Potter is turning 15
and he's getting a make-over!!
Check out the new cover for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone created by artist Kazu Kibuishi, author of Amulet graphic novels.
For 15 years, Harry Potter has been part of the lives of many youth, and adults. The books have been translated into 72 languages.
From The Guardian newspaper, "15 Things The Boy Wizard Is Responsible For", here's a little trivia:
- Kings Cross is the location of the elusive Platform 9 ¾, gateway to Hogwarts.
- The first Harry Potter was published by indie publishing house Bloomsbury, upon the demands of the chairman's daughter.
- Once rejected as irrelevent, Latin is being read, learned and repeated by young readers.
- The owl market has probably double or triple overnight. Sadly, for some owls, this has meant being abandoned, as they make for stinky pets who are likely to nip.
- There's a new condition called the "Hogwarts headache", coined by a doctor who described "a tension headache possibly accompanied by neck or wrist pains, caused by unhealthily long reading sessions of Harry Potter."
- Have you heard the band Harry and The Potters? Yes, this is a real band, yes, they do play gigs. And they continue to tour the US.